Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Voting and Election Fraud


As we approach election day, I remember some of my "war stories" from my days as a federal prosecutor, during which I prosecuted the largest vote-buying case in U.S. history. In that case, I successfully prosecuted a total of 28 defendants for buying votes in Dodge County, Georgia, including a sheriff and two county commissioners. I wish I could say that I "cleaned up Dodge," but the U.S. Attorney's Office was required to "make a little visit" there again and lock up some folks not too long ago!
Election problems and voting fraud continue to pose a serious problem in this country. Consider the following examples:
  • In Nevada, there have been reports that, when voters have gone in to vote, their ballots have already been marked for Senator Harry Reid;
  • In Illinois, election officials missed the deadline for mailing absentee ballots to soldiers overseas, so that they can vote;
  • In Daytona Beach, Florida, a city commissioner was arrested earlier today and charged with absentee ballot fraud in connection with his own re-election bid.

Election fraud is a serious problem which strikes at the heart of our Constitution. Don't you agree? Do you believe electronic (computer) voting is more safe, or less safe, than paper ballot voting?

No comments:

Post a Comment